[Jacob-list] Re: Sheep shearing question......

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 3 05:50:56 EDT 2004

Gordon,

I have been amazed so often by the reluctance of shepherds to shear their own sheep in this country as well.  I tend to see it as a cultural difference between your land and ours.  Europeans seem to know they can clean up when they get dirty, and getting dirty is not a sin.  I never understood why clean clothes warranted a lecture on "keeping clean" when that was what the washing machine was there for....just one of those lessons I never learned well from my mother.

My personality and personal prejudices are such that if I have responsibility for critters, I expect to be able to provide and meet their needs---which includes trimming them up if they need it, giving them a bath if they need it, feeding, etc.  I bought my first sheep fully expecting to need to butcher---and knew I would have to learn how to let go of animals that were excessive around the place (which is hard when they are really nice ones) or not good breeding stock.  Not everybody owns sheep with the same goals, though.

If I had a B&B and wanted to make it into an event for spinners, I would definitely find a shearer who the spinners loved.  I would invite a couple people in for impromptu classes.  I think I would contact the local scout groups and see what badges the kids could earn helping out---there are lots of jobs that will save you effort and worry if they handle them.  A large skirting table can be set up with somebody to lead that.

As to the book mentioned, Kevin Ford does have the ONLY book out on Sheep Shearing that I know about.  The book includes black/white pictures throughout of techniques, he explains history and really set the book up as almost a course.  There are chapters on how to get into the business of shearing so there is a lot in the book.  It is well written and really good.  That is one of the books I keep in healthy stock on my web store and at all the events I go to as a vendor.  At 29.95, it is not the cheapest book on the market, but definitely in line with pricing for good farm books.

NOW GORDON:  I have a question about shearing through the rise that you mentioned.  Are you shearing through the rise on the Jacobs as well?  Do any of your Jacob sheep roo?

I have encountered some interesting fleece characteristics this first year with the sheep that have been transported from the coast of Maine down to the great humid hot South in the USA.  One of the girls roo'd completely out and I have the entire pelt (not her skin, but felted above the break) to prove it.  The rest of them are all broke their fleece during the summer.  I had the "cheesy" look to the fleeces on the 3 we had since last fall at shearing time----and they looked very healthy at that point.  Scraggly fleeces don't look good!  In fact, one of those girls with the cheesy look just delivered twins a couple weeks ago.  I am not sure what to put the fleece changes down to----environmental change, biological challenge (different food stuffs and bugs), or the characteristic of that particular bloodline, or a combination of the above.

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool