[Jacob-list] Sheep shearing question......

Melody Hale critterland at bendcable.com
Sun Aug 1 21:08:22 EDT 2004

I have only 12 sheep at this time.  My shearer, a former sheep breeder from New Zeland, is wonderful.  He shears as a sideline to his landscaping business,  charges $3/sheep plus small setup fee for small flocks, and doesn't mind  holding the sheep tipped a bit longer as each one is sheared so I can give them their wormer and Covexin shots with no struggle.  This year I paid him a dollar extra per sheep and he trimmed hooves and sawed a couple of overly-curling horns as well.   He handles the sheep carefully, doesn't do a lot of second cuts, and I rave about him to everyone I know!     I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't find a shearer,  would take me half a day to do one sheep, I'm sure, and that was if the sheep cooperated! ;-)
Melody at CritterLand
Redmond OR

  When I had less than 25 sheep, I was doing it myself and never considering hiring a shearer.  I did the shearing when I wanted, when the sheep needed it, and didn't need to bother locating one.  I have used Kevin Ford who travels to our area of the country in the months of February and March for the past several years.  This year, he did my 50 in about 2/3 of a day and finished off my friend's 15-20 or so sheep to finish off the day.  Shearers want enough business to warrant their time and effort doing "house calls"...............

  Mary Ellen

  .com