[Jacob-list] ram lamb background

Karen Sigler karen at benjaminfarms.com
Thu Apr 22 13:54:23 EDT 2004

    Just to add a little more info. about the lineage of my ram lamb,
who is doing well on day 3. Juno Ally baa-baa,  yes that is a strange
name, is a yearling ram who came to us from Calif. last fall.  Gracie is
a three year old ewe,  first time mom (did not breed 1st year,  ram from
last year did not breed any ewes he was with and is in a freezer).  I
really strive for unrelated lines with breeding.  Gracie had a brother,
I raised as a whether and he was fine.  This year's yearling ram Juno
has produced some cross babies this year, also with no problems.  At the
time I purchased Gracie and her brother, I was very unfamiliar with
sheep and did not know to ask more.  Although I do not think that the
people I had bought them from, really knew what they were doing, since
their only advice to me as a first time sheep owner was  not to shear
for two years......
    We have been administering anti-bodtic shot for the past three days
given to us by the vet.  He is eating and drinking well.  Most of the
bloat is gone.  I am not sure of how much compression their was from the
bloat on the internal organs yet.  Back legs are still a little wobbly.
After he was first born I assume his full belly was from nursing.  But
it was a little strange his belly was so full large from the start.  Mom
is keeping his butt clean, but I have not actually seen what his poop is
yet.  I can tell the color has gone from the orange/red to more of a
dark brown.  Once we did slit the skin you could see the
openning....this was a small second prior to the explosion.
Thanks for all the input!!!!! This has been a learning lambing season
and this list has prepared me well.
    Ok I give on the Jacob breeding statement.  I promise I did read
about this when I first got Jacob, so I could do everything right(???)
and of course now I can not find that breeding reference.   But I do
wonder because of temp. and daylight  are different (Oct. and April
share about the same hours of daylight) distant to the equator, (upper
east coast vs. so. Calif) if these could be contributing factors and
give some varioustions in the breeding seasons?
Karen Sigler
Benjamin Farms  Utah