[Jacob-list] Mating

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Mon Apr 19 10:34:51 EDT 2004

I don't think that ewes that rebreed after losing early lambs are the same
as aseasonal breeders. We have had Jacob sheep for 15 years or so with 50
ewes per year, and have never had true out of season lambs in the Jacobs. We
have had a few breed back in Feb. after aborting in Jan.  In contrast, our
Finn X Lincoln/Cotswold crosses will breed in spring 30% of the time even
though the longwool sheep are strictly fall breeders.

This is an interesting question because the origin of the Jacobs is
sometimes guesstimated as a mix of Northern European (seasonal breeders) and
Mediterranean (aseasonal breeders) types. Most of the other down breeds
display limited aseasonal breeding.

Neal Grose
North Carolina