[Jacob-list] A quiet contrast

Jeanette Larson jeanette392001 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 18 22:48:06 EDT 2004

Gillian,
Thanks for sharing your laugh, it made me smile to
think that there are areas of the world where the
ground is wet. We are in our third year of record
drought.
We have just had two days of dust-bowl type dirt
storms, even my desk is gritty. Visibility from the
house to the barn was zero for much of the last two
days because of blowing dirt. We had to park both our
van and our truck across the porch so that we could
open the front door in the high wind. I thought today
of putting wet blankets over the windows, like they
did in the dust storms of the 1950's.
Tonight, the wind finally died down and I just went
and sat under a tree in the pasture with the ewes.
They were eating, or sitting and chewing their cuds or
tending to their lambs. The lambs were sleeping, or
quietly visiting with each other.
Everything was peaceful and quiet and right. The sheep
make it all worthwhile. Goodnight everyone.

-Jeanette

--- Gillian Fuqua <gillianfuqua at adelphia.net> wrote:

> 	This afternoon I was out starting to put up fencing
> around the outside
> of the pasture and some in a damp, woody area where
> I am hoping that
> the sheep will eat the knotweed.  There are springs
> that drain through
> that area that make a very nice woody wetland.   I'm
> still a week or
> two until they can start to go out and browse but I
> thought I would be
> organized this year.  So here comes Gillian, walking
> backwards and
> laying out tension net.  Squelch suck suck suck, in
> goes one foot (in
> wellies thank goodness) up past the ankle.  I pull
> out that foot,
> somehow with the boot still on and the other foot
> sinks in.  I put foot
> 1 back to get foot 2 out, all the while holding up
> my half roll of net.
>   Both feet are mired well over the ankles.  I toss
> the net to the side
> and as I am trying to loosen a foot, lose my balance
> and sit rather
> abruptly.  My backside sank up to my waist in cold
> mud.  I then did the
> only thing that seemed reasonable; I sat there and
> laughed and decided
> that such moments of grace were not meant to be kept
> to oneself.
> Fortunately there was a large rock near by which I
> could lean on and
> heave myself out with great, obscene, sucking
> sounds.
> 	Such a pastoral life.
>
> Gillian

=====