[Jacob-list] Our first bottle baby

Melody Hale critterland at bendcable.com
Sat Apr 17 21:21:17 EDT 2004

congratulations on saving the lamb!   I've had two bottle babies in 4 years--they are a challenge, but they sure do remember their "mama".  Just a tip for future reference-if you have a chilled newborn as you describe, a faster way to bring up body temp is to immerse the lamb up to the neck in very warm water.  It warms the entire body at once, and is much quicker than a heat lamp.  Once the lamb is warm, a blow-dryer gets it nicely dry while maintaining the warmth. (warning--I've heard of people actually causing burns on newborn faces by over-enthusiastic, too-close use of the blow dryer).  Another method is to put the lamb in a plastic bag such as a kitchen trash bag before immersion in the water--the warmth is transmitted, but the lamb remains dry and the blow-drying step is eliminated.
Melody at CritterLand
Redmond OR
  Abigail Brown wrote:>>>>>>>>. I felt inside her mouth which was very cold. I knew she would only warm up under a heat lamp. This was 10pm. At 2am we heard the first whimper from her. She finally warmed up. She was only 1 lb.!