[Jacob-list] re: sore mouth/bottle lamb

Kelley Rambo Kelley_Rambo at antiochne.edu
Mon Apr 12 10:52:48 EDT 2004

Gillian -
Have you tried to hold the ewe and get the lamb to nurse from her?
Sometimes I've found doing that a few times, she'll finally get the idea.
Having someone hold her while someone else helps the lamb is the easiest.
I would suggest trying it if he is still interested in nursing from her -
it will save you A LOT of work!

What are the symptoms that people are experiencing in terms of sore mouth?
 I noticed that a couple of the sheep have these little scabs, just a
couple, around their mouths and on their noses since they returned from
the dippy vet's in VT.  And I KNOW he made no effort to prevent
contaminating them with stuff from his own animals.  The scabs fall off
and no one has any trouble from them that I can tell.  It's only on 2 or 3
that I've noticed.  And I never saw anything like it prior.

Kelley