[Jacob-list] sheep and chickens

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Sun Apr 11 20:23:11 EDT 2004

Kathey asked awhile back about sheep and chickens and I thought I'd share Junco's chicken story.  Our chickens are so
free range that we honestly don't know where they come from.  A neighbor has a free range, untrained, Border Collie
that wanders the area herding chickens.  Since our place is fenced and our dogs don't chase chickens, we have gathered
an interesting flock.  I have 4 elderly hens that I raised from day old chicks six years ago. Today's count was close
to 2 dozen hens.  There have been roosters, but they are no longer with us.

One interesting hen is a black bantam.  She is the size and color of a crow. Dave calls her a cartoon chicken, as she
is about 3/4 breast - a chicken with cleavage.  She's quite bossy, but the other chickens chase her.  She and Junco
have
gotten to be friends and it's funny to see her in Junco's feed dish, helping him finish his grain.  She fits perfectly
between his horns.  The other chickens are afraid of the rams, so "Mae" has a ball with Junco as her protector.  I saw
her the other day, when the other hens were chasing her, position herself under Junco's belly.  He was grazing and she
was looking for bugs or whatever.  She stayed directly under him the whole day.

Linda

Visit our lambs!
http://www.patchworkfibers.com/2004lambs.html
Patchwork Farm in NE Georgia