[Jacob-list] Re:sore mouth

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 11 12:09:51 EDT 2004

Trisha and all,

I was advised by a breeder when I first found it to give the (live) vaccine, but happened to mention it to my vet before actually giving the vaccine.  The vet recommended STRONGLY against giving the vaccine as (1) the vaccine is living and can infect me and the sheep, (2) is very unlikely to be the same kind of virus that I have here on the place---giving me TWO types of sore mouth rather than just the one.

The first girl and her lambs to come down with the disease that year happened to have been a ewe who had been vaccinated at her farm (the farm of the breeder that advised giving the vaccine) as a lamb.

I have asked the question of 2 other vets over the years, and they concur with the first vet---don't give the vaccine.

I sure wish we had the same sore mouth problems you have in England----there wouldn't be many springs that we would have sore mouth issues with our wet springs :o)).

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm