[Jacob-list] Re:lilac color

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Wed Apr 7 09:57:50 EDT 2004

I tried to reply to B&B about lilac color yesterday and it doesn't seem to have gone through.

This is exactly the results that we have seen here. (We have also seen that lilac Jacob rams bred to homozygous white sheep will also pass on the Jacob black.) My conclusion from this has been that the black gene and the lilac gene are not at the same loci. Recessive genes are only expressed in absence of the dominate gene; therefore. two lilac genes are required to conceal the black gene. The lilac Mom is not (b,b) but instead is (B,B + l,l). Black Jacob sheep would be (B,B + L,L) or (B,B + L,l).

Odds are, not every "lilac" Jacob fits this same profile. There may well be more than one lilac phenotype out there....

Neal Grose