[Jacob-list] weaning

rlynde rlynde at onramp113.org
Thu Apr 1 00:47:33 EST 2004

>    I am having knee surgery and would like to have
> this done for the ones that would qualify at 8 weeks
> before the surgery to lessen the load on my husband.

One option would be to just not deal with it at all and let the lambs stay
on the ewes until after you've recovered. You mentioned some of the lambs
leaving. I haven't experienced this situation, but have been warned that if
you remove one lamb of a set of twins, you could be setting the ewe up for
mastitis. Sometimes the lambs get used to just nursing on one side. If that
was the case removing only one would be hard on the ewe.

Robin