[Jacob-list] training horns

Linda Bjarkman patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Sun Sep 21 19:05:53 EDT 2003

Last month, one of my ewe lambs broke her laterals, which enabled her to fit her
head through the fence and get stuck.  The month before I was feeding sheep for a
neighbor and arrived one afternoon to find an 8 month old Romney lamb with his head
and one leg stuck in the fence.  He was in the direct sun, it was 86 and he was
quite dead.  So I was being a little paranoid.  I taped a piece of PVC pipe to her
top horns so she couldn't fit through the fence any more.  The pipe was on for three
weeks when I noticed that her horns seemed to be tipping forward.  Her horns
were set abit forward, but didn't seem to be heading that way.  They still aren't
bad, but I was wondering if taping the pvc might have trained the horns in any way?
I've posted the only picture I have of her with the pvc - she's in the background of
another picture I took.  It doesn't show her very clearly, but should give you a
general idea.  BTW, the ewe lamb in the foreground had really perfect
horns and then one lateral took a 180 and grew straight towards her cheek.  That was
pretty depressing until she broke that lateral and it's growing back in very nicely.
 My luck is usually to have the perfect horns break!

http://www.patchworkfibers.com/daphne2.jpg

Any thoughts?