[Jacob-list] cheese

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Fri Oct 24 17:02:21 EDT 2003

There are, in fact, several sheep cheese dairies in Vermont, most of whom milk East Friesian crosses, and in NOrthern NYS, a couple of guys milking icelandics, and making cheese.  Others make yoghurt out of sheepmilk.  In point of fact, Cindy Major of Vermont Shepherd told me at the Vt. festival that she wants a  couple of jacobs, but is having a hard time convincing her husband that it is okay to have a couple of sheep for pets and fleece alone.  The EAst Friesian and the milky icelandics have bags on them and teats that are huge, and milk out  very well.  Not a teensie two fingered milking like our sheep.  Their cheese is quite good.

There were cheese vendors at the Vermont Sheep and Wool Festival handing out samples!  Sheep cheese, unlike goat cheese, doesn't smell like pee infested beards of bucks!  Blech!  Although, I know a lot of folks who make goat cheese who think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Not that fond of sliced bread, either. Betty in Vermont.