[Jacob-list] safeguard

Linda Bjarkman patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Thu Oct 16 18:57:24 EDT 2003

Very good advice, Joy.  It's great that we can all share experiences online and I
sure do learn alot.  Conditions do vary in different areas and especially in regard
to parasite infestation, it's wise (and cheap in the long run) to consult your area
vet.

We had a problem with Safeguard resistance a few years back and haven't used it
until this year when it has worked fine.  An interesting note is that a vet told me
that your/my parasite population, assuming that our sheep are kept to themselves, is
it's own tiny environment.  It may  not matter what wormers don't work for the guy
down the road if you aren't sharing grazing land. Overworming in an individual flock
can create resistance that you may not see in a flock that worms twice a year. Kinda
over simplified, I know.

Having a fecal exam done by a vet is inexpensive and you don't even have to have the
vet actually see your sheep.  You can transport that tiny little bag of fresh
droppings quite easily.  It's not like OCD where you need either an X-ray or a
decapitation to diagnose.

A sheep may have just been wormed, but still be wormy.  And a sheep may look
"poorly" and have diarrhea and not be wormy.

Linda