[Jacob-list] handling sheep

gordon johnston gordon at westergladstone.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Oct 15 18:58:48 EDT 2003

<<< So... anyone with any good ideas as to how to wrestle them >>>

Very sensible answers so far.

When we first got our sheep 8 or 9 years ago, we knew nothing about them either and , taking our cue from our neighbour - a commercial sheep farmer - spent many exhausting sessions chasing them round trying to catch them.  We got angry and frustrated and the sheep were confirmed in their idea that getting away from us was a good idea. It was a contest of wills, and guess who lost each time !!!
Then when we were collecting a new tup from a farm, we found ourselves amazed at how this farmer treated his sheep.  He was slow and gentle with them, and somehow they worked together, not in confrontation.  He asked us to help him put his stock tup in with the ewes, it being that time of year. Whereas with our neighbour this involved much agro, swearing and stress, with this chap, he just opened the gate, let the stock tup out and we followed along behind for the long trek to the ewe field.  Of course the old tup knew the way, but we were so impressed by the gentleness of animal and farmer.

We went home and had a good think about this and from then on we adopted the gentle, work-with-them approach.  We spent a lot of time watching our animals as they went about their daily round, learning their natural behaviour and reactions to different events.  One thing we noticed was that they became used to our presence and, although always aware of us, we became accepted as part of the farm.  On the other hand, when strangers appeared (especially our neighbour !) the sheep would startle and take up a defensive position. Particularly noticeable was when my aunt appeared - she always spooked the sheep and she could never understand why.  We watched them both and realised that her body language said 'stalking' to the sheep, whereas she thought she was sneaking up unobtrusively LOL.
This leads me to my point, which is that sheep read body language.  They would need this skill to survive in the wild, where a prompt reaction to the reaction of another flock member which had spotted a predator, or the observation of a minute change of stance in a predator which could presage an attack, could mean survival or not.  Sheep appear to the casual observer to spend their time grazing or ruminating, but they are also always totally aware of their surroundings and its occupants.
So, they read body language, but not only of other sheep, also of the humans with whom they have contact, and they learn to judge exactly what we intend, even when we think we can trick them - particularly when we think we can trick them !!!
I wouldn't say we have got it perfect yet, because sheep always have a little surprise up their sleeves, but for routine movements, things do now go smoothly.  For routine changes of pasture, the sheep are usually way ahead of us, standing at the gate and demanding vociferously to get into the next field, once the grass on their side is shorter than that in the new field.  Obviously all that is required is to open the gate and through they go.
We try to plan catching moves ahead and if necessary do them in stages, say from one field to the next in the morning, then on into the next and the catching system in the afternoon, so there is no stress involved.  We never use dogs, except our guardian , which just shuffles along with the rest. As then others have already said, following a bucket is much easier and less stressful all round than trying to chase, especially with primitive sheep.
Once you have a routine in place, this will help to settle the flock as they know what to expect when - sheep tend to develop a daily routine of their own if left to themselves, so will quickly pick up on the farm routine.  Also, we found that once the sheep had lambed with us, they seemed to accept here as home and were much more settled.
However, there will always be the flighty ones - they are the ones who lead the breakaway, just when you think they will all trot into the catching pen docilely, and they are also the ones who will jump and knock you flat.  This is no joke, as a sheep can kill this way. If it gets to that stage, let it go, don't stand in the way trying to block the escape with your body - it hurts !  If just one gets away, it will usually try to rejoin the flock, so if you have a double catching pen, you can put the ones you have into the far away part, then entice the escaper into  the other half and gently close the gate (don't slam it because your body language will tell them you are about to trap them).
When you have them in the catching pen, pack them together closely (the double pen is handy here too as you can get them into the large area, then close off half to squash them up), and deal with the jumpers first.  For shearing, learn how to tip your sheep, so it is sitting on it's bottom, with it's head hanging down to the side. You really need to be shown this move by someone who has already mastered it, but once there the sheep will happily sit while you take off the wool - usually !!!
Horned sheep hate to be handled by their horns, which is unfortunate because they make such good handles ! More comfortable for the animal is to block its body against the gate/hurdle/wall with your legs and to hold it under the chin with your hand.  Also, don't catch a sheep by its wool - again this seems very convenient, but will leave a painful bruise, and the sheep will remember and be more difficult to catch next time.
Another benefit of careful observation of your sheep is that you will quickly learn to recognise unnatural behaviour, for instance when a sheep is sick, or when the flock has been frightened by a predator.
So, get to know your sheep and let them get to know you - which is just what Mary Ellen said, but far more briefly !!!
Juliet in Scotland, UK