[Jacob-list] Re: mystery ref and dominating your ram

gordon johnston gordon at westergladstone.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Oct 13 18:26:22 EDT 2003

<<< Just as evidenced in the recent attack on Siegfried & Roy in Las
Vegas -- >>>

I'm sure you all know what this refers to, but I don't have a clue !  Anyone
care to explain?

<<< I.........chased that ram down,
flipped him on his back and stuck those horns down
into the ground yelling down at him all the while>>>

I am seriously impressed, Mary Ellen !  Either US Jacob tups are
considerably smaller that Brit ones, or you are some fit lady !!!
Having said that, I agree that that is the best and most humane way to deal
with any animal attempting to prove it is dominant to you.  It is behaviour
which is familiar and comprehensible to the animal.   I have just read that
sheep can remember a human which has caused it pain for many many months - I
wouldn't want a ram ruminating on revenge for some of the other methods
suggested, then choosing an awkward moment to take me down !  A slightly
less dramatic way we have used is simply to chase the tup away to the edge
of the field and make him stay there in disgrace, whilst stamping and giving
him a good telling off - they understand !

Juliet, in Scotland