[Jacob-list] fun with rams....NOT

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Mon Oct 13 10:56:57 EDT 2003

"What techniques have other breeders used SUCCESSFULLY
to curb obnoxious younger rams?  "

I find that carrying a stick down beside your leg and striking up to his
nose is very effective. They do not seem to be able to anticipate something
coming up at them in this manner.

The other thing is that simply grabbing a horn and picking the head up often
stops the 'charge response'. While their head is up, take the opportunity to
bash them square in the nose. I have had rams go off and sulk after this
treatment.

In regards to using a water gun, I have heard of using a weak ammonia
solution in them, and am wondering if the brine off of those pickled
jalapenos wouldn't work really well!

Neal Grose