[Jacob-list] fun with rams....NOT

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 13 06:16:49 EDT 2003

Hi,

Just thought I would pass this on for your enjoyment
and edification.....

I am using 5 different rams this fall as I have
mentioned.  I got one yearling ram in from Mark and
Cathie Williams this summer.  He seems to be a fine
fellow much of the time---calm tempered, respectful,
but curious.  Well last evening, I had all the sheep
caught up in individual small pens so we can get ahold
of them easily today for their OPP testing and
possible rabies vaccinations.  I was working with one
of my girls when Shakespeare decided he just NEEDED to
size me up.

For those of you with rams long enough, you know that
sizing up eye.  Anyway, he backed up and tried a
little trial charge.  That was enough for me.  I
pocketed my vial of stuff and chased that ram down,
flipped him on his back and stuck those horns down
into the ground yelling down at him all the while.  I
kept him there probably 30 seconds to a minute before
rolling him over.  He avoided me the rest of the
evening.  Hopefully, that SMALL lesson will be enough
to keep him behaving for awhile.  Something tells me
he will need more discussions.

What techniques have other breeders used SUCCESSFULLY
to curb obnoxious younger rams?  The one that is
obviously the most effective is slaughter----and I
have used that with a willing and quick heart here.  I
am looking for methods that keep the animal alive BUT
permanently change the behavior.  :o)

Mary ELlen

=====
Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN