[Jacob-list] Fw: FW: The taming of the Parrot

Thomas Simmons creaganlios at prexar.com
Sun Nov 23 07:35:29 EST 2003

While a teenager in my parents house (many years ago....), my dad had a
Red-Headed Green Conure that he taught to speak. Once the darned thing
learned, it never shut up:  at all times of the day this thing would scream,
caw, yell out <hello!>, and even call me mother ("Ethel!  Hello Ethel!
EEEETTHHHELLL!).  Having hygenic habits to match his mouth, this thing threw
seed and water and everything he could get his beak on all over the floor.
The only thing that calmed him down and shut him up was complete darkness.

One night while my folks were out I decided to have a party with some of my
friends (typical teen, eh?), and to avoid being unable to hear conversation
or music, I put the bird in his cage in the shower, and drew the curtain. I
figured that would be dark enough to keep him quiet.

About halfway through the party, a female friend of mine who lived just
across the street decided to use the bathroom.  In she walked, and flipped
the switch.  About 15 seconds later - just enough time to get settled on the
pot - she heard a voice from behind the shower curtain:  "Heeellllloooooo!"
The poor girl came running out of the bathroom pulling herself together in a
panic.......I think one of the funniest things I can remember from my youth
was seeing her face...LOL!

thom