[Jacob-list] birthing

oberlef at supernet.com oberlef at supernet.com
Fri Nov 14 12:59:48 EST 2003

While this all makes sense, Fred, I do think that ewes can prolong labor a
few hours if they are not feeling safe for any reason.   Night births could
cause a ewe to feel lack of ease due to all the hunting done at night by
preditors (in the wild).

 In our experience, we have found the same thing as Linda...ewes that have
not lambed before 11 PM, wait til early morning.  I had one ewe that kept
trying to find hiding places on our farm... I was determined to witness the
birth so kept finding her out.  When I did, she promptly  left her 'nest'
and looked for another spot. This went on for most of the day (I finally
gave up watching until she had legs showing) She is a yeller...meaning she
makes a lot of noise when she is lambing.  Maybe that is why she has a
strong desire for a hidden place?  *smile*
Katrina, Chicory Lane Farm