[Jacob-list] OPP and Johnes Testing

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Sat Nov 8 05:19:41 EST 2003

"> What you cannot find out is if that flaked cow colostrum stuff you get
> at the feed store is Johnnes free.  I have a sheep vet who was willing
> to get some cow colostrum from a Johnnes free dairy farm. Dairy farms I
> believe, regularly test the cattle for the presence of Johnnes...is the
> cow test more accurate than the sheep test...anyone know why that is?
> Same test, different species or??"

Some dairy farms are starting to test for Johnnes. As far as I know, the
tests are the same for sheep and cattle. Also susceptible are Camilids,
goats and deer. The strains for each are somewhat different, but it can jump
between species. It will be most useful if your state/province has
implemented a testing program. Make angry phone calls to the state Vet
office if they have not.  These tests are similar in accuracy to the OPP
tests. There is a quick not-very-accurate test and a slow, more expensive
accurate one.

Flaked colostrum SHOULD be safe to use, but I don't know. Commercial
pasteurization will normally kill Johnnes*, but also will deactivate the
anti-bodies that the lamb or calf needs. The safest route is to get frozen
colostrum from a known pathogen free herd or flock of goats.
*There is a human disease that has been linked to Johnnes, but the relation
is vague. It doesn't help that it is only found in a rather narrow ethnic
group.

"The options I have on anti-Johnnes colostrum is no colostrum at all and
to feed normal lamb replacer, but to vaccinate at weaning day of 15 or
16 days (yeh, that young!  You feed soyabean meal...palatable and does
not mess with under developed ruminen...off that OPP Concerned Sheep
Breeders' Society web site--this info is so cool!) with 7-way."

Huh? Ruminant babies are born sans immune system. EVERYTHING that they have
initially is delivered through the colostrum. 7-way vaccine is only for a
very small portion of their immune needs.
No colostrum = dead lamb or calf.
I want to see proof of what the people at OPPCSBS are saying. It sounds more
like OPPCSBSBS.
It sounds, though, that it would be easier to pasteurize for OPP than
Johnnes.

Neal