[Jacob-list] OPP testing.....

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Wed Nov 5 23:56:30 EST 2003

In a message dated 11/5/2003 5:17:14 PM Central Standard Time,
patchworkfibers at alltel.net writes:

> How many of you are testing, and what time span do you get results back in
> >your individual circumstances? Are you using a state lab or are you using
> an
> >out-of-state lab?

We just ran some spot check OPP tests. Tests were $15 for AGID thru Texas A&
M.  Test results are generally back in 5-7 days when a larger group (over 20)
is submitted; about 3 days for small groups (say 5 or less).  We have been spot
checking and do a test on "suspects" ... including any that may present
related symptoms.  The reason we began doing OPP tests was the damage OPP carriers
could do to a breed that is few in numbers with few breeders ...  and the
problems it can cause in a flock.  You do have to care a little extra about the
breed to spend the effort to understand the disease and be willing to spend a
few dollars to keep the problem in check.

Fred Horak