[Jacob-list] Still waters run deep??

ranchrat at telusplanet.net ranchrat at telusplanet.net
Fri May 16 16:09:33 EDT 2003

Heel low Kathey & List:

There is nothing more humbling that watching a lamb born, get cleaned off and
immediately rise up and nurse
in comparison, we humans are such fragile useless
creatures, lucky to have opposable thumbs matched to a bit of brain I guess.
We’d be extinct for sure without our guardians who are willing to raise us up
for 20 odd years before we scout out on our own!

In regards to Kathey of Athens, GA <ACAMDA at aol.com>:

“will they cross the creek (get their feet wet), or use the bridge?”

I asked my husband why my Jacobs were making huge leaps (SPROING!) over the
spring run off
it was his observations that helped explained the why.

To understand sheep and why they behave as they do, sometimes it makes sense to
put yourself in their hooves.  They are a prey animal.  You will find that prey
have eyes on the side of their heads to give them wide angle vision so that
they may see the wolves (a.k.a. ACDogs!) advancing upon them.  Dogs and humans
have predator eyes which are located in the front of our heads.  We have better
3-D (dimensional) vision (length, width, depth) basically because of where our
eyes are located in our skull.  Sheep are not as well adept at perceiving
depths, they are able to see length and width but do not know very well how
deep something is.  Therefore “water” is a surface they may be unsure about and
for good reason!  You can see them sniffing and looking down into the water and
sometimes you can catch the expressions as they cross their faces.  ”Exactly
how deep is this puddle?”  Sheep will also balk at shadows
ever see the flock
running along over flat ground and suddenly one of the Jacobs leap up in the
air
relook, bet there was a shadow they just leapt over—they are not always
just being spunky or frisky.

Sheep, for the most part, take good care of their body parts; feet and legs
being an utmost concern of theirs.  For without the proper use of their legs,
they cannot run from Wiley E.  Jacob sheep are incredibly well adapted for
survival (even going so far as having a unique gait than other sheep!), but an
injured sheep is easily picked off, even culled from the flock if kept by
humans.  No legs/feet, no animal.  And we wonder why some of them are so
concerned about their feet at toe trimming time!

Another item I have picked up is that most animals (cows, sheep, even dogs) do
not like racing from a dark place into the light.  I volunteered couple
weekends ago for a club exotic bird auction which happened to have a few goats
for sale.  I helped load the goats and each lot had the same reaction.  Just
before the loading chute, coming out of the dark buildings into the bright
sunshine, every single animal would balk on the ramp
stand and survey the next
move they made.  Now most people would have rushed them on through, slapped
their butt and told them to get on with it.  I found it less mess if we just
paused momentarily, allowed the critters to adjust their eyes, get their
bearings, and then moved them forward.  Worked like a charm and we had no
wrecks.  Even the fellow who loaded a half dozen goats and their kids into the
canopied back of his pickup truck had an easy time of it!

Now contrary to the above, every night this winter when I shut my Jacobs up in
the barn, I’d walk in and switch on the lights first.  The sheep would gladly
go in, from the dark place to the lighted area like moths drawn to a flame.
Now that it is much lighter out for longer, I am glad for my shadow Fixins.
For without my little red canine whirlwind, my Jacobs have a great time zigging
and zagging in front of the barn door with me galloping back and forth trying
to put them to bed.  A few times one of the more ornery girls has decided to
deek me out (sans Fixins for some reason or other) and has been singled off and
is alone outside the barn door
then the tables sure turn with her bawling about
her oneness!  This experience was the first time when I ever heard my Jacobs’
voices
for the most part they have been silent, quite different from the
commercial sheep farms I have been to—I guess that 8 percent more brain
directly controls their voice box.  The silence has of course now changed with
the addition of babies mouthing it up for mommy and vice versa!

As far as using bridges, I set up 12”by3” poplar planking across a particularly
muddy area to my sheep corrals
yup, the sheep trip trop across it just like the
troll story, “Who’s that trip tropping across MY bridge!”  They even politely
wait for each other to get in the line up.  It brings a huge beaming smile to
my face to see the moms and babes all walking along it single file.  Sheep are
just as wary about water as they are about gummy mud.  Protect those legs!

I think one just has to note the infatuation that little lambs seem to have
over stepping on anything introduced into their area to know that Jacobs are
adventurous and checking into everything around them.  I had the bale sled out
today (yeh, another skiff of snow to wake up to!) and while I was loading up
hay in the feed room, all five lambs where prancing in and out of the plastic
sled.  Quite amused with the new texture and sound of their baby feets.  I am
told the best way to train animals for obstacle courses is to put items like
bridges or tires down in a lane way and have the food on one side of the
obstacle, water on the other
they soon train themselves to accept the new
challenge.  I would however make sure any item set up is good and solid
bridge,
planks or otherwise.  With all the talk about West Nile, I think you may see
more of us wishing we all had fast flowing water for our animals
hmmm I may yet
consider expanding my Coi population and putting a few hardy fish souls in my
stock tanks to eat the mosquito larva that seem to appear instantly, no matter
how often you change the water!

Doggone,

Tara
--