[Jacob-list] hybrid vigor, etc.

Mary Spahr spahrfarm at dragonbbs.com
Mon May 12 12:36:30 EDT 2003

Tara keeps coming up with lots of good points to ponder.  Regarding hybrid vigor, our Jacob crossbreds do seem to be more vigorous than their non-Jacob parent, but no more vigorous than their purebred Jacob parent.  I believe that a purebred Jacob is just as hardy as a crossbred sheep that exhibits hybrid vigor.
I would not advocate "barging ahead without concern", buying up what may or may not be Jacob sheep at auction barns.  Unless you are very familiar with determining crossbred traits, you may be in for disappointment.  You could luck out and find some purebred Jacobs at auction, but remember the saying, "Buyer Beware!"
Large body size and very dense wool are not part of the Jacob gene pool here in the U.S.  Pink noses on young lambs are permissable, but should develop dark pigment within a few months.
Registries here in the U.S. do not have a 'breeding up' policy to recover mixed genetics.  If any crossbred traits are suspected, the sheep cannot be used to breed back to purebred Jacobs so the lambs can eventually reach registration status.

Mary Spahr