[Jacob-list] crowing :-)

Thomas Simmons creaganlios at prexar.com
Sat May 10 14:45:53 EDT 2003

OK, I know its really tacky to crow about ribbons and such, but I need to
tell *someone,* don't I?

Many of you know that we severely downsized our flock this past year, but
the few Jacobs I kept are ones born on our farm as the result of our own
"planned breeding" process.  I have never entered fleeces for judging
before, but I decided that I would enter three of them in this weekend's New
Hampshire Sheep & Wool Festival. Of course, *I* was getting all annoyed that
the fleeces weren't as perfect as I would have liked them, and *I* saw a
speck of vm here and there, and  thought maybe I skirted too heavily, and
finally wondered "why am I bothering with this?"  It only got worse as I
heard the judge analyze every single fleece in front of the public,
including on topics I didn't even know existed.

Well, the end of the story is, the judge loved the fleeces, complimented the
"anonymous" producer, and remarked that they were some of the finest Jacob
fleeces he had seen.  We're coming home with blue and red ribbons for one
ewe and our remaining flock sire, but more importantly, grades of 7's and
8's in all fleece categories and a lot better understanding of what
constitutes a "good fleece."

So, thanks for listening to this braggart, but gee, it's my first fleece
contest :-)

Thom