[Jacob-list] Hebrideans (Fred's comments)

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Thu May 8 13:31:57 EDT 2003

In a message dated 5/8/2003 7:46:59 AM Central Standard Time,
gordon at westergladstone.fsnet.co.uk writes:

> The Hebridean breed was developed from black individuals from the old
> Scottish Dunface, a multicoloured type (from the days before we had
> 'breeds' in the modern sense.)  Clearly, these individuals were black
> recessive, in line with other Northern Shorttailed Sheep colour genetics.
> However, these animals were then taken into English parklands with other
> breeds including the Jacob, where it is thought that the black Dominant
> gene was acquired. So by the time Hebrideans were recognised as a separate
> and distinct breed, dominant black was already a part of their genetic
> make-up. The exact proportion of dominant to recessive black is not known,
> but to say that those animals which are black dominant are not true
> Hebrideans is innacurate.  What is true is that you cannot tell the
> Genotype from looking at the Phenotype.

Yes, the information I referred to was the Parfait & Sheppy progeny test. It
was to illustrate the point that the color we see can be dominant or
recessive ( phenotype masking genotype but leaving behind traces of the
genotype evidence).  I always get hung-up on the old saw:
Phenotype=Genotype+Environment  ...  and by shorthand substitution ...  Breed
= Phenotype = Genotype + Environment.

Fred Horak