[Jacob-list] Hebrideans (Fred's comments)

gordon johnston gordon at westergladstone.fsnet.co.uk
Thu May 8 08:41:49 EDT 2003

Fred, what you wrote about Jacob genetics was interesting and helpful.  However, I have to pick you up about your comment on Hebrideans :

<<<A history of the breed color sources, I think, is a helpful lead into understanding the genotype.  Now I know you want to look at a sheep and know its genotype but it is difficult to do.  The best example of how the "phentype" can lie about the "genotype" is the Hebridean, a homozygous recessive black.  About 5 years ago, it was discovered that every once in a while a "white" sheep popped out and would be culled ... and so they did a progeny test with 60 sheep and 75% of the "black" registered Hebrideans turned out to be dominant blacks ... and not true Hebrideans.  The progeny test to prove a pure Hebridean involves accounting for all lambs born and producing 14 white progeny from breedings to pure-bred white ewes and 0 black lambs ... which gives a 99% level of "certainty". >>>

The Hebridean breed was developed from black individuals from the old Scottish Dunface, a multicoloured type (from the days before we had 'breeds' in the modern sense.)  Clearly, these individuals were black recessive, in line with other Northern Shorttailed Sheep colour genetics.  However, these animals were then taken into English parklands with other breeds including the Jacob, where it is thought that the black Dominant gene was acquired. So by the time Hebrideans were recognised as a separate and distinct breed, dominant black was already a part of their genetic make-up. The exact proportion of dominant to recessive black is not known, but to say that those animals which are black dominant are not true Hebrideans is innacurate.  What is true is that you cannot tell the Genotype from looking at the Phenotype.

I contacted David Kinsman, whose book 'The Black Sheep of Windermere' has helped many people to understand colour genetics in Northern Shorttailed Sheep, to ask his opinion on your comments. Here is his reply :