[Jacob-list] spots

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Mon May 5 21:51:11 EDT 2003

Hey, List, I was so busy thinking about the fact that that lilac ewe of Neal's had a black and white baby that I totally overlooked the fact that she had a black AND white baby.  Crosses with jacobs in the past except with dorsets, I thought yielded black lambs with maybe a random blaze of white or some such, but not a jacob looking lamb.  I've had a black and white jacob mistakenly bred to a shetland (I have to look it up, I think it was a moorit) and it yielded a black lamb with bit of white.  For the lamb from jacob ewe and shetland moorit ram (most recessive color, nothing in it genetically BUT brown) to be jacob-looking, pattern wise is most interesting. I'll be eager to see if all the lambs are jacob-looking and then, will turn around and ask Neal why this has happened, if he knows?  "Cause according to everythign I've read, it should not be jacob-looking patterned.  Tell us, Neal, what does it all mean?