[Jacob-list] Sore or injured teats

RnS1260 at aol.com RnS1260 at aol.com
Mon May 5 07:33:14 EDT 2003

We have a Jersey cow that managed to step on one of her teats when first
freshened. OUCH! We have found that the bag balm is soothing, but at some
point you need to dry and heal the wound. We simply use the teat dip which
contains iodine. We applied before and after milking. No need to dry this
off, as we were tossing the milk. This seems to both disinfect and dry. It is
a painful process, but you must keep them milked out in order to keep away
from any risk of mastitis. Hope this helps.
Cheryl
Rise "N" Shine Farm