[Jacob-list] legal system/stolen sheep

Kelley Rambo Kelley_Rambo at antiochne.edu
Sun Mar 30 09:30:16 EST 2003

Gillian's comment that this will be expensive seems rather true.  I've
been reading about replevin (a legal term that just means give me back my
stuff or animals in this case) and it seems that the court may require the
plaintiff (me) to put down a bond ($$) for the amount of the property.
Interesting.

I called the VT Dept of Ag and spoke to a very nice fellow who is standing
in as the state vet.  The Purdy's "no-kill animal shelter" as they call
their rescue on their website seems to not be registered as such with the
state.  This means that they cannot legally transfer/sell/adopt any
animals for a fee, even adoption fee.  An investigation is supposed to
start this week at least on that matter.  That felt like good news.

I have the names of a few more attorneys to call Monday along with other
calls to state agencies to see what else I can drum up.  The Purdy's claim
that the sheep had no water which I don't understand because besides
hauling in water everyday and having snow on the ground, the sheep had
access to two rivers: the Black and the CONNECTICUT!!!  I spoke with a
woman Friday who I guess had put down a deposit on two of my sheep, but
has now decided not to take them and is looking for another home for them.
 She was told by the Purdy's that I sat down and wrote down everyone's
name and birthdate for them (because I thought I would be getting the
sheep back).  The amount of lies these people tell constantly amazes me.
And the quality!

That's my latest.  All I can think of is the wolf in sheep's clothing.
Kelley