[Jacob-list] Introduction

Mary Ellen Hansson mhansson1 at triad.rr.com
Fri Mar 28 05:33:07 EST 2003

Welcome Cate,

1.  Sheep go where there is food and love.  They are trick-able, but
often don't go for the same trap twice unless food overrides their
brains.  If you need to catch them up for shots, general health checks,
etc., I might suggest using a place that is small and enclose-able to
feed in as they won't think twice about flying in there.  You can slam
the door and you have your critters without upsetting them and wearing
yourself out.
2.  Sheep are curious and will check out the inside of that building
without anybody's encouragement---including hay at the top of any ramp
or food in the building.
3.  Sheep will often sleep and stand out in a rainstorm instead of go in
under the shelter.  If they need it, and it is available, that is what
your requirements are as a responsible shepherd.
4.  Hooves are not tender like our fingers.  In fact, they need to run
across concrete, rocks, etc. as that does help slow down the number of
times you need to trim hooves.  I feel like nature sometimes does a
better job than me, and nature never trims too much and causes hooves to
bleed.
5.  The responsible breeder(s) that you purchase your sheep from can
help you out lots as well.

Mary Ellen Hansson
ISeeSpots Farm www.iseespots.com
Jacob Sheep, Fiber, Spinning equipment,
Books, Patterns, Knitting/Crochet/Tatting