[Jacob-list] Re:lambing - and tails

MarmontJacobs at aol.com MarmontJacobs at aol.com
Mon Mar 24 15:24:50 EST 2003

Hi - yes our first lambs of the year back in January were a disaster...ten
days premature to a first timer so they were a couple of hours old when
found. The male must have been first and we found him sat quietly under a
hayrack - he seemed full and fed but died of watery mouth two days later. If
I hadn't been so busy on other things perhaps I would have noticed things
weren't 100 per cent. Always guilt with stock.

Meanwhile, Ysanne had fallen in love with her ewe lamb...cleaned it well and
eaten half her tail in the process leaving a ragged stump. Banded and sprayed
it still had a couple of chew marks, but has healed okay. This lamb is also
very dust sensitive and was prone to mega bouts of coughing (they were in
Jan/Feb/early March) - magically gone now they are out.

Things have improved since!

Trisha, UK