[Jacob-list] Re: Stillbirth

MarmontJacobs at aol.com MarmontJacobs at aol.com
Fri Mar 14 15:48:38 EST 2003

Hi Susan,
               Sad news about your lamb. I'm not sure if Jacobs in the US are
the same, but I find that first lambers here can rarely count beyond one
whereas an older ewe seems to know when the second lamb comes along and will
transfer her attentions to it.
       Several years ago I had a lamb born very late evening to a first-timer
and after an hour of nothing retired to bed, and lost a second lamb in caul
(found it in the morning). Being a first-timer she had ignored it. I was just
too tired.
       A couple of years back someone told me they had had several losses
with Jacob/Norfolk Horn crosses she thought due to the water bags being
"unusually tough".
       We live and learn...I now have 16 Jacob lambs and have only seen one
born, and that was a huge male I pulled!

Trisha M-S, Montgomeryshire, Wales