[Jacob-list] Jacob Newspap er Article – Editor Wanted!!

ranchrat at telusplanet.net ranchrat at telusplanet.net
Tue Mar 11 22:06:17 EST 2003

Help you guys

I had a reporter call me this morning to do an article on the Jacob Sheep in
the agricultural section of a newspaper, issue comes out next week.  I meet
with them tomorrow and this is what I have come up with scanning thru all the
Jacob info I have around here.

I am including info off our association’s brochure, a copy of our breed
standard and these two sections I am listing below, 1) history and 2) Jacob
uniqueness, the reporter wants to know what is unique about Jacob sheep
compared to other sheep breeds.  I am still wet behind the ears when it comes
to giving the Jacob just homage, so please lend a hand and correct my errors
and omissions!

Anyone want to give this a proofing and edit?  Please send a copy of your
response directly to me at ranchrat at telusplanet.net since I am on “digest” mode
with the Jacob list.  Thank you!  I am meeting with our president tomorrow
morning to go over what I have collected and get a picture of her ram Poker for
the article to be included with a piccy of my ewe lamb Mia.

I’ll check my e-mail later tonight and first thing in the a.m.

Gotta love a deadline
grumble grumble!

Tara
--
    ____(\                Tara Lee Higgins                  /)____
   (_____~>        Rat Ranch - An ACD is for LIFE          <~_____)

HISTORY

One of the oldest breeds in the world.  Jacob history is clouded in unknowns
but basically, Jacobs are described as "Spanish sheep with four horns."
Egyptian wall paintings depict horned sheep-1800 BC, Scythian gold necklace
from 1000 BC, and Sicilian pottery from 600 BC.  It is suspected that the Jacob
came from the Mediterranean, through Spain (by the Moors) to the British Isles
to North America and from the Mediterranean to China and then North America.
Some also attest that the Jacob is a multi-horn Norse breed from Scandinavia
and northern Scotland.

Genesis 30 verse 32, recalling the word “cattle” includes sheep, goats AND cows
- beasts that were consumed, herded and kept in flocks/groups.  Some
translations read “spotted sheep” instead of “spotted goats.”

“I will pass through all thy flock to day, removing from thence all the
speckled and spotted cattle, and all the brown cattle among the sheep, and the
spotted and speckled among the goats: and of such shall be my hire.”
- “The Bible,” King James Version

The Jacob sheep was kept as a curiosity in sixty British public parks during
the 1900’s, and the “park sheep” nearly went extinct in 1911.  The Jacob Sheep
Society in England improved the Jacob as a commercial breed for meat and fleece
and now scientists differentiate the Jacob unimproved as Jacob (American) as
opposed to the England Jacob which is a commercialized breed.
Zoos have imported Jacobs (1954 Winnipeg) and Rare Breeds Canada had a flock
which they have just turned ownership over to the Jacob Sheep Association of
Canada.  Todd Hescock of the “Jacob’s Ladder” prefix imported Scottish Jacobs
in 1977 to Nova Scotia and eventually this flock was exported to Vermont in
1983 after a long quarantine period.

CHARACTERISTICS UNIQUE TO THE JACOB SHEEP:

An ancient wool breed that is primitive and domestic.  The Jacob was an
historic English “park sheep” and was left to fend for themselves.  They were
brought in once a year for shearing and the unimproved Jacob fleece consists of
a protective coat that may contain kemp and hair.  Primitive Jacob lines have
lambs born with a protective hairy birth coat that sheds out at 3-6 months and
is resistant to cold and moisture.  Fleeces range from a Bradford count of 44
to 56 and micron count of 34.40-36.19 (44) to 26.40-27.84 (56).  This range of
wool is the largest recognized range for any wool sheep breed.  Crimp and
quality vary over an individual’s body.  Jacob fleeces are open, soft and light
containing little grease (lanolin) with a staple length of 3-7 inches, a weight
of 2 to 5 pounds, and a healthy luster and sheen.  Some describe a sheared
Jacob fleece likened to a “cobweb” when describing its openness.  Jacob fleeces
are in high demand by handspinners, felters and weavers.  Sunbleached black
Jacob fleece may appear in many shades of brown, so a single undyed Jacob
fleece may provide white, black, brown and grey fiber.  Jacob hides and horn
buttons provide other unique crafting opportunities.

Jacob ewes and rams are polycerate (multi-horn).  Horns are dark or white
striped, one, two or three paired (2-4-6 horns) with preferences for even
balanced sets that do not inhibit grazing.  Rams are quite striking and may
have horns two or more feet in length.  The two horned rams may be double
curled.  Jacob sheep may not be polled and both sexes must have horns though
the ewes have more feminine horns.

Body conformation is longer than tall and “goat-like.”  Jacobs have a unique
ground covering gait.  Ewes are 80-120 pounds and rams 120-180 pounds.  Ears
are small, head is triangular, carried upright, and small-not coarse, face is
clean with no wool forward of the horns.  Legs are free of wool and fine
boned.  The unimproved Jacob is a seasonal breeder with a single lamb the first
year and twins & singles up to 15 or 20 years of age.  Triplets are not rare
and Jacobs ewes are excellent protective mothers.

Genetically, the Jacob is a black (dominant) or lilac (deep grey or blue/purple
cast-recessive) sheep with white markings—recessive piebald.  Eyes may be amber
to brown, marbled blue or sky blue.  Lilac Jacobs have lighter gray/blue eyes.
Jacob breed specific markings are dark eye patches, white poll, blaze and
chest, dark muzzle, ears, cape over shoulders & neck, udder or scrotum, white
legs with dark markings on hocks, knees, pasterns and hooves.  Random spotting
occurs on the rest of the body with the preferred 60 percent white to 40
percent dark.  Each Jacob has its own unique coloration and may be easily
identified by its individual markings so much so that some use photographs to
document positive identification.
	Jacobs are extremely healthy and renown for being resistant to foot
problems and internal parasites. Many Jacob flocks are on OPP and volunteer
Scrapie health programs.  Deworm, vaccinate and provide a balanced mineral and
they will flourish on pasture.  Most producers give them no grain and feed
straight Alfalfa during Alberta’s winter.  Jacobs are small, easy keepers and
forage very well for themselves.  Some browse on brush by standing up on their
hind legs.  Tails may be docked or undocked as they reach about to the hock.
Crossbred Jacob offspring are often completely black.
Jacobs have personality; they are playful, exhibit intense curiosity, strong
family ties and display a keen sense of humour.  They bond well to their flock
tender but are suspicious of strangers.  They have a loose herding instinct and
would rather follow than be herded.  They are ever watchful, preferring to
observe from a distance.  Jacob sheep are characters with often unexpected
personalities.  Some describe them as more endearing than dogs.

- E N D -