[Jacob-list] Re: mismatched bite

ranchrat at telusplanet.net ranchrat at telusplanet.net
Tue Mar 11 04:01:12 EST 2003

Fred Horak wrote:

> The problem of jaw misalignment seems to be a recessive. There was a study
> done on some commercial breeds that concluded that jaw deformities were
> associated with level of inbreeding.

Heel low:

I am certainly not qualified to respond at Fred Horak’s level, but when I
produced a (very low inbreeding coefficient match) puppy with a lower jaw that
never grew to meet the upper jaw, I was advised that the lower jaw bone is the
slowest bone to develop (in ACDogs it may take 4 years) and to not give up hope
that the jaws would eventually line up properly.  I had a friend post my query
about “Parrot mouths” to a canine geneticist’s list and the consensus there was
that the upper jaw is inherited separately than the lower jaw.  So it is not
necessarily a bad fault that is inherited, but more an inheritance of the
incorrect “matched set” of jaws; one parent’s upper jaw (larger) and the other
parent’s lower jaw (smaller) are inherited by the progeny resulting in a
mismatched set of jaws.  Under or overshot jaws are a disqualification in the
ACD standard and the breed is predisposed to this fault
.probably because we do
have such a variance in the size of muzzles in the gene pool; some breeders
preferring huge blocky heads, while others target more Kelpie like refined
profiles.

In Jacobs mismatched bites would not be as detrimental or detectable with them
having their teeth align up with a larger dental pad
presuming this allows for
a greater degree of misalignment correction.  In dogs that are suppose to have
a scissors bite, we were dealing with lower & upper canines not meeting.  Some
suggested surgery (removal, bracing, etc.), but the dental vet we consulted
decided to allow the animal to mature prior to considering these extreme
measures unless of course the animal was unable to eat or was in discomfort.

The geneticists were undecided whether they would use such an animal in a
breeding program
I guess the question was whether you use a normal sized
muzzled animal or try for either extreme, big muzzle or little and hope you get
a matched set in the offspring.

Hope some of these experiences help!

Doggone,

Tara