[Jacob-list] Horns

Mary Ellen Hansson mhansson1 at triad.rr.com
Sat Mar 8 21:29:40 EST 2003

Hi,

I don't think there is much random about horns and their direction.  If
the animal is incredibly marked, has a great fleece, and is quite
healthy, growthy and happy-------the horns will be horrendous.  If, on
the other hand, the animal has crappy markings (missing eye patches,
5-15% coloring, is peuny, or is simply not very healthy-----the horns
will look great.  Of course, you wouldn't really want to breed the one
with great looking horns under any of the above circumstances, and we
all know that most males get culled that look like the first.

Now---it is the unusual breeder that will think twice about keeping a
ewe that has funky horns....of course, the offspring out of these ewes
can have lots of configurations :o) which can be blamed on the ram if
great or the ewe if terrible.  And just to make you think..

How many people looking for a ram request to see a picture of the dam
and sire?  I have had 2 customers in 9 years ask for this information.

Bottom line----what we see is NOT what is genetically transmitted.
Until we see that, we often cull for all the wrong reasons.

Mary Ellen Hansson
ISeeSpots Farm www.iseespots.com
Jacob Sheep, Fiber, Spinning equipment,
Books, Patterns, Knitting/Crochet/Tatting