[Jacob-list] fun spring day

Mary Ellen Hansson mhansson1 at triad.rr.com
Tue Mar 4 18:22:19 EST 2003

Hi,

Everybody needs a chuckle when they come home from a long day.  Today
was no exception for me.

I came home to find Miss Bliss circling the poor old ram ONCE AGAIN.
Just how late in the year will they cycle anyway???  This one has been
in hot pursuit of him every couple weeks or so since November.  Most of
the time, she has chased him, has pawed him up (with him ambling off not
even giving her a cursory glance sideways), and just been downright
aggravating to him.  His back legs have been sore enough most of the
time I am sure he couldn't support his weight if he had to anyway and
knows it.  Little does she give a rip.

Then, we have the twins born Sunday.  Their mom is the oldest girl on
the place right now, so she should be able to handle things, one would
believe.  She did marvelously in her pen even for extra time due to
rainy days outdoors---no other reason as bonding was good from beginning
from all appearances.  I let everybody out this morning and took off for
work.  I came home tonight to find Charity by herself---none the worse
for wear by the looks of things.  One bawling baby with a ewe that lost
her lamb (Delly), and the other lamb with a very eager and willing (but
completely milkless) old girl by the name of Mabel (Mabel is the one you
are thinking of, Royal).  I don't know if Mabel is bred or not, but she
and Delly wouldn't mind raising a little one by the looks of
things..DEEP SIGH...  I put lambs back in the jug with their REAL mom
who does have milk.  She circled and circled until I physically got in
and stopped her.  Lambs latched on in open glee and swigged for several
minutes before coming up for air.  Everybody seems happy now, but they
ain't-a-comin'-out anytime soon.  Ahhh.  The joys of these sweet
surprises.

I am stopping for a month or two (at least) at 5 lambs----4 ewes and 1
ram.  Woo-Hoo!!!

Mary Ellen Hansson
ISeeSpots Farm www.iseespots.com
Jacob Sheep, Fiber, Spinning equipment,
Books, Patterns, Knitting/Crochet/Tatting