[Jacob-list] (no subject)

stonecroft235 at juno.com stonecroft235 at juno.com
Mon Jun 9 16:29:07 EDT 2003

We have a one year old ewe here who lambed this Spring and produced a
single ram.  I have repeatedly noticed her mounting and riding her ram
lamb, who is nearly as big as she is at this point.  She never repeats
this behavior with any other sheep, just her ram lamb, and he appears
annoyed by it - he does not respond playfully or sexually but just moves
out of her way.  Could this indicate that she is in heat?  Cows do that
sort of thing when they are in heat.........but I would not expect her to
be cycling now.  If she is being playful, why does she single out her ram
lamb......is it a form of aggression or dominance behavior?  Just curious
if any of you have observed similar behavior.

Sue Martin
Stonecroft Manor
Lititz, PA