[Jacob-list] Extra Teat

Jeanette Larson jeanette392001 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 8 19:54:55 EDT 2003

Hi,
All of our ewes have 4 teats, also, and they come from
2 distinctly different bloodlines. Two are vestigal,
and two are functional. I have been wondering if this
is because Jacobs are a primitive breed.
When we first started shearing, I marked the ones with
4 teats as potential culls, but as we went along, I
discovered they  all had 4! And all our ewe lambs have
4 teats. It has not caused any mastitis or other
problems for the ewes.
I'm glad your brought this up, I've been wondering who
to ask if this was normal for the Jacob breed.

Jeanette Larson,
Laffing Horse Farm
Fine woolen products and goat's milk soap
Jacob sheep, dairy goats and guardian Llamas
La Junta, Colo.