[Jacob-list] (no subject)

Mary Hansson mhansson1 at triad.rr.com
Sat Jan 4 19:17:57 EST 2003

Hi,

The issues that Sue talks about are the same ones I have observed over
the years.  I don't like bringing home one sheep at a time primarily for
this reason and the experiences I have observed.

I bought a ewe from Wayne and Edie one fall.  She took one look at a
particular ram, and HE was it for her.  She never even bonded with
another ewe in my flock.  Once she had a ewe lamb, they stayed together.
This is the only situation where I saw this "isolated flock within my
flock" remain after another baby was born.  Mother and daughters and
grandson all stayed bonded---and exclusive of the flock they lived in
and ate with.

It hasn't taken more than 3-4 hours when I put my rams together for them
to come out all smelling the same and the fighting to be over.  An 8'
square pen is absolutely too large for 4 rams to be put into at the same
time.  The analogy used with me was "a phone booth".  Basically, CRAM
your rams together in a tiny area and leave them alone.  I know of
people who put them in a small trailer and ride them around for an hour
or so and they come out so glad to be off the trailer there is no
arguing either.

I haven't seen arguments between physically large adult rams and
physically small ram lambs.  They (unlike dogs) seem to be able to see
size differences when they are marked.  Small size differences don't
seem to matter to them.  Usually, the older rams seem to "look after"
the little guys, although there is pecking order for feed most
definitely!

Mary Ellen Hansson, ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Those horny, fuzzy critters
Shop:  Knitting, crochet, spinning supplies
www.iseespots.com (336) 854-6209