[Jacob-list] Re: Rams

MarmontJacobs at aol.com MarmontJacobs at aol.com
Sat Jan 4 19:13:49 EST 2003

The tyre idea is brilliant - I have always thought that small pens were the
only reasonably safe way to introduce adult rams.

I have just split up my boys' paddock of two senior rams and six ram lambs.
The lambs were being kept out of the (large) hayrack bigtime and the barging
was getting silly. There is no way I would put adult rams together in a field
to establish themselves - they just aren't bright enough to stop (like some
boxers!) before permanent damage is done. My most successful method has been
to separate adult males across the adjoining corner of two fields - saves the
pacing and challenging of the fenceline, but they can still get to know the
other guy. After a few weeks there has been no hassle at all putting them
together.

I've tried small penning with straw bales dotted about which was a complete
disaster - the big guy just hammered the straw bales to dust - so the tyre
idea is inspired. I have a bought in ram lamb who I've kept out of the
"bearpit" and who is wintering out with a late-born Icelandic ram lamb - they
are great together...hope they have long memories for next winter!

Trisha
Marmont Jacobs & Lan Fawr Icelandics, Montgomeryshire