[Jacob-list] Killer Ram

Neal and Loise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Thu Feb 27 06:45:49 EST 2003

I do see bucks in the wild quite a bit, [so much so that we occasionally have to get permits to spot and kill them in our fields to prevent extensive crop damage.] My observation is that bucks and the rams here willingly form bachelor groups and separate themselves from the ewe herds during lambing. [This is seems to be the traditional model for humans as well.] I have often left the rams in with the ewes during the off season. We occasionally have a young ram that gets the wrong idea, but the senior dude straightens them out rather quickly. All of this works best when the ram group stays stabile. Animals coming into the group can really upset the apple cart.

This does NOT mean that I favor letting a mean animal stay around. Rams are, or SHOULD be cheap and plentiful. I know of beef bulls that switch personalities after 3 years of age and kill cows that are trying to freshen. I also know about a Highland bull that would consistently guard a perimeter 20 yards out, always facing out, when a cow was calving.

Neal Grose