[Jacob-list] Killer Ram

Connie Hackenburg locohack at sunlink.net
Wed Feb 26 16:36:32 EST 2003

Hello All,
 I don't participate much with the list, but am always interested in reading your stories.
I am writing with this information to see if any of you have ever experienced this terrible event.
 We have Jacob and some crossbred sheep. A samll flock of 10 ewes and a ram. The ram is now probably 6 yrs old and I am always very aware where he is when I am in the field. He has never to this day really been aggressive towards us except when cornered and I consider that acceptable.
 On Sat night after participating with a group of brownies and their thinking day I came home to find one of my crossbred ewes down in their shelter unable to get up. She appeared to have some bloody discharge, so I felt she may be delivering her lambs. After observing for a while and nothing really progressing I began to worry she may have been laboring earlier and was just tired. I proceeded to check her to see if we were having lambing. She was not even dilated a bit and then noticed she was very swollen by her udder. This was all by flashlight.
The ram was being very protective of her and I really didn't think that to be all bad.
We brought her up into the shed where there was light and checked her over.
 The swelling was not her udder, but the very soft area in the front of the udder and part way up her belly. Could her broad ligament have torn?
  I gave her some vitamin B, Propylene Glycol, and some electrolytes.
She really didn't seem sick, she was just unable to get up.
 The next day the area that was swollen had turned all purple, an obvious  bad bruise.
Thinking maybe the ram had maybe done this when she was unable to get up  didn't thrill me, but possibly a survival measure if he felt she were being threatened by the others.
  Today when I went out to the field to feed the group I noticed the ram had blood on his horns. Allot of blood!!! It was bright red, so I knew it was fresh. As I fed and watched the sheep around me I noticed two lambs with a small amount of blood smeared on their heads. The came across two large puddles of blood!!!! It was like a story from the twilight zone as I kept searching as to where all of it came from.
  Then, there it was, in the small shelter lay one of my purebred ewes with her udder bruised purple and in a very distressed.
She had been perfectly healthy yesterday with two lambs that are 6 weeks old.
 I went to get help to get her up and until we got back down  she had died.
I have removed the ram from the pasture and now put 100% of the blame on him.
Do any of you have any input about this. He is now destin   for dog food unless someone can  give me a good story why not.
Thanks, Connie