[Jacob-list] Ranch Rat Introduction

ranchrat at telusplanet.net ranchrat at telusplanet.net
Tue Feb 25 02:37:34 EST 2003

Heel low:

Wow
what a delight to find a list concerning Jacob Sheep!! :-) As a courtesy, I
would like to introduce myself to this list, having just joined your forum.

I am employed as a bean counter (aka accountant), enjoy homesteading activities
(from tawing hides to growing corn under impossible conditions!), stainglass /
woodcarving, and am treasurer of the Jacob Sheep Association of Canada.  The
association has just gotten up and running (incorporated Dec 6, 2002) and
already we have a whole host of events to show case the Jacob breed at.  Our
group is motivated and energetic
we are pumped to compete in sheep shows
(conformation & fleece), proudly display our breed at public venues and educate
and promote, promote, PROMOTE the Jacob Sheep!

The JSAC membership is in the process of looking to acquire some new genetics
for our cause up here.  Our members are willing to work with one farm or
several on a package of animals with the intentions of increasing our bio-
diversity.  Animals may be open, bred, lambs at side, rams, young or older
proven producers.  We are receptive to suggestions regarding this endeavour and
would like to work with people who have a vested interest in improving our
breed as a whole.  Our stock here is registered through the Canadian Sheep
Breeders’ Association with the Canadian Livestock Record Corporation and the
Jacobs we purchase will need to be registerable with this our only registering
body in Canada.

The Canadian Sheep Breeders’ tell me if you have Jacobs registered other than
the “Jacob Livestock Registry,” they will consider other registries IF they
receive:  1)  Copy of registry’s constitution  and 2) An example of a four
generation pedigree from the registry.  The Canadian Sheep Breeders’ would
expect assistance from the other registries to help them to accept Jacobs from
their registry.  Sounds reasonable to me and might be kinda neat to get more
Jacob registries accepted by CSBA and Canadian Livestock Record Corp.   Sort of
an historical undertaking for future cross-border genetic transfers
hee hee!

While I cannot speak for the membership on all their wants and needs, I am loud
and long winded enough to voice my own preferences, eh!  I am looking for the
following qualities:

- Registered purebreds who will register in Canada (Jacob Livestock Registry so
far!)
- Animals bred with the objectives of conforming to Jacob Sheep Breed Standards
- Primitive yet sturdy conformation
- All breed markings plus dark knees/hocks – I admit to finding “ghost” faces a
bit unnerving
BOO HOO!  ;-)
- Exceptional inheritable fleeces targeting handspinners and felters
- Level bite; both in the front and on sides
- Horn sets that do not inhibit animal’s ability to graze
- Amiable temperaments
- Age is irrelevant so long as they have “one” more breeding season left in
them and they will not succumb to the stresses of transport.  I do not have a
large flock and will be able to bestow time to special care needs animals if
required.  Every year that passes informs me more insistently of my own
mortality.  We will not “cull” healthy old unproductive sheep who gave their
best years to us--they get to retire to hot mashes, deep straw and lazy days

sorry if this is not business wise but some of us “accountant” types really go
offline when we exit the boardrooms and head for the hills & home!  ;-)

Intrigued by:
- Lilac
- Blue eyes
- Triplets
- Five+ horns without sacrificing Type 1 split eye deformity

Ewe Spot, Lombard, Puddleduck, Conservancy, & New Cumbria are some of the more
well known genetics in my lines.  Anyone interested in my request, a short
three generation pedigree would be much appreciated since I am looking for
genetics not necessarily away from these prefixes, but it would be sickly
ironic to spend time and resources importing brothers/sisters to my own flock!
:-(

My registered ewes are four horn with all breed specific markings, black
knees/hocks/hooves, and dark horns.  Within my flock, I have a lilac ewe (bred
to produce lilac factor lambs), a lilac factor ewe lamb (open-I do not breed
ewe lambs till their second year) and a white legged blue eyed dominant black
ewe.

I adore lilacs and would like to see more of them produced while retaining the
genetic diversity we need in this rare breed.  Fleece on our lilacs here
require improvement; there is some hair mixed in with my lilac’s wool along her
hindquarters.  I am willing to introduce genetics from dominant black Jacobs
who pass on improved fleece to their progeny, expecting to see a projected
improvement in the F4 and F5 generations...I do not expect improvement
overnight if we are to retain the lilac factor with dominant black infusions.

I have show quality registered guardian fiber llamas and would like to see my
Jacob fleece quality improved so I may produce mixed yarns from both species
for clothing articles, etc.  I am quite delighted with the quality of Jacob we
have up here and feel that we may now focus upon improving the fleece quality
while adding some more diversity to our gene pool so we do not lose the quality
we have already attained.

I prefer 4 horn Jacobs with all the appropriate breed markings including black
knees and hocks.  None of my ewes exhibit split eye deformities.  I am more
than willing to overlook any of my other stated preferences for something like
a two horn ewe who has an exceptional soft fleece.  I like balance in an animal
and realize no creature is perfect, especially myself!

My acquisition of sheep took 11 years to plan and prepare for.  I am in this
for the long haul and will not be a flighty person who lets items like the cost
of feed, lamb, or wool prices determine the economics of my flock.  I do not
expect my sheep to cover ANY costs and they are purely here for both mine and
their enjoyment in life.  This is my hobby, more infatuation if the truth be
known.  I hope to one day retire to sheep chores full time, going to town only
to stock up on supplies and hurry home to my muttering mutton matriarchs!

We have excellent facilities.  Our 4.5 acres is cross fenced into nine separate
rotational areas and six-foot high double perimeter fenced in 9 and 14 gauge
page wire fencing, making it impassible to even a newborn lamb.  Our property
is half treed in mature evergreens, some of the pastures were industrial
rototilled last fall, ready for seeding this spring.  We have purchased and
properly stored enough good quality hay, grain and alfalfa to feed our flock
every single day for the next three years if required.  We hand feed a little
bit of grain in pans to keep our sheep well socialized and find this makes it
less stressful on them when we have to do work on them.  Some, like our
dominant ewe, come right up to us for attention.  Our sheep are locked up in
their barn every evening at dusk with our llamas on patrol just outside their
dog proof corralled area.  While we are not wealthy, we do feel that it is our
duty to provide for our animals in the best means we am able.  It is a
privilege and a luxury to own animals and therefore up to the humans to provide
for their every need.

My husband and I built two beautiful barns on 6" pipe skids.  Both were built
to house building standards and lined in puckboard where our sheep lavishly
lounge in deep oat straw bedding
my Cheshire c at t smirk beams their
contentment!  We have proper lambing facilities and the know how to deliver and
care for the breed's future generations.  Alberta has a health flock program
and I intend on enrolling my flock and one day attaining the highest level of
Flock status “A.”  I rotate dewormers and vaccinations, inspect and trim hooves
every three months, and shear my animals firstly for their benefit while hoping
to retain their fleeces for my personal use.  I have more sheep “vet” supplies
on hand than most clinics
just in case the unexpected should occur!

I am an advocate for genetic testing having owned purebred pedigreed dogs all
my life.  I am use to the strict regiments of showing, breeding, registering,
medical preventatives, and training purebred stock.  We compete in herding &
obedience trials, conformation shows, run a recreational dog sled team, and
perform costumed dog skits for the public’s amusement.  I test my canines for
hearing (BAER), OFA radiograph hips/elbows and annually CERF eye test.  I
proudly own the world's first DNA color tested (BB, ee) and AKC parentage typed
red out of blues Australian Cattle Dog (aka Heeler).  This may help to explain
why I took an instant like to lilac Jacobs—just more color genetics at work!

I am aware of Johnnes, Caseous, OPP, Scrapie, and the risks one exposes their
animals to when showing or purchasing outside stock.  I will need to know what
kind of health regiment my sheep’s previous farm has adopted to limit
communicatible diseases.  My sheep facilities are set well back from thru
traffic and I have biosecurity measures in place to help keep disease transfers
down (quarantine facilities post showing).

Some of the lengths we have gone to to accommodate our animals is unnerving for
some.  We coat our sheep after shearing to make sure their transition to wool-
lessness is not such a great shock on their systems (Lilac Haley always looks
like “toga” girl in her wool-lined canvas coat
maybe her less than balanced
horn set adds to the overall appearance--looks an awful lot like a grey crown
of olive branches
too bad Jacobs don’t have Roman noses to complete the entire
toga-look
hee hee!).  We even planted and deer fenced a new orchard with apple
trees that will supply us with a bountiful crop of "sheep" apples; tasty treats
to hand tame and spoil them with.

Our four registered ACDogs are fully contained and only work our animals under
our direct supervision.  They are taught self control (they work call ducks
long before they ever work sheep) and do not grip stock.  We care as much about
our sheep’s wellbeing as our dogs enjoy their herding.

I think the best day in recent memory is when I looked out my kitchen window to
peek at my “park” sheep contentedly grazing in one of my forest pastures.
Easily amused?  Possibly, but I certainly know good things when I see them!

I look forward to public or private responses to my request for new genetics.

Doggone,

Tara Lee Higgins
Treasurer - Jacob Sheep Association of Canada
President - Central Alberta Premium Sheep – CAPS
Historian & former Secretary – Australian Cattle Dog Club of Canada
Spokesperson to CKC for Recognition of the Australian Stumpy Tail Cattle Dog
--
   ____(\                Tara Lee Higgins                  /)____
  (_____~>        Rat Ranch - An ACD is for LIFE          <~_____)