[Jacob-list] Starting off

rlynde rlynde at onramp113.org
Thu Feb 20 02:28:12 EST 2003

I hate to be the downer in this discussion of putting all your animals in one place. But I'll never put cattle and sheep together after our tragic experience. There is a virus called Malignant Catarral Fever that is fatal to cattle (and bison and deer) and is carried by sheep. My daughter's Milking Shorthorn heifer died of it a few years ago. I'm looking at the notes I took in talking to a vet from Wash. State:
"Almost all sheep carry this. The virus is "normal" flora of domestic sheep.
A bit sporadic. Cattle not as susceptible as deer and bison. Cows more resistant [than calves]. An isolated case here and there. Don't understand factors that determine which will get it.
Passed by nasal secretions. All sheep shed it some. But there are high shedders that are less than 10% of the population. Some say it's more of an issue at lambing. Others say it's no different then. Lambs don't shed the virus until 6 months.
A more virulent strain in Africa"
In our case, the heifer was a few months old--a big, healthy one. She came down with this after letting her run with the sheep for a few days (week?). We eventually ended up at the UC Davis Vet Hospital. Since then I have talked to vet students who have said "Oh, you that was you? I remember hearing about that case". So it's by no means widespread. In fact our vet said that she would NOT change mgt practices based on this incident. But it was an awful disease and death. Our sheep and cattle are separate now and will not be put together again.

There is (or at least was a few years ago) info about this at www.uwyo.edu/VETSCI/MCF_Q&A

Robin Lynde
Meridian Jacobs
Vacaville, CA