[Jacob-list] Starting off

sheepythyme 2512 at nethawk.com
Wed Feb 19 07:00:00 EST 2003

Dear Alex,
In my experience, sheep and goats mix fairly well, although goats are more aggressive and your sheep may not get as much food if you don't have several different feeders.
Cows are clumsy and can step on lambs.  My neighbor has not had many problems putting them together with Jacobs, so if you have no other choice I think they will be fine.  Jacobs can breed any time of year they say, but they are generally fall breeders, September or October is when we have put our breeding groups together.  You do not need a larger flock unless you want one.
Jacob sheep are perhaps the best breed to start out with, they are good mothers and can teach a new shepherd many lessons :)
Bonnie
Herb and Bonnie Sutten
Sheepy Thyme Farm~Edmore, MI
Raising CVM/Romeldale Sheep & French Angora Rabbits
www.sheepythyme.com