[Jacob-list] No colostrum in the freezer

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Wed Feb 5 19:19:51 EST 2003

In a message dated 2/5/03 9:01:45 AM Central Standard Time, pegaleg2 at juno.com
writes:

> The only problem I have is that the
> colostrum was evidently nurse out days ago and know the newborn has none
> for herself.  Any suggestions???  Should I give her shots or just let it
> be.   I have no other ewes ready to lamb at this moment they are apporx.
> a month away.

Fred Horak with Laura Lawson's book...Colostrum is produced up to about 18
hours after lambing.  The antibodies produced by the ewe prior to lambing are
passed to the lamb with the colostrum (inoculate before lambing).  Colostrum
provides passive immunity until the lamb can build its own immunity by
vaccinmation or exposure.  The ability to transfer the antibodies via
colostrum to the blood stream actually declines 12 to 15 hours after birth.
If a lamb does not receive any colostrum, it will not have a passive immune
system and thus a vacination (a dose of the disease) without any antibody
protection, may make the lamb more susceptible to disease ... esp.
enterotoxemia and tetanus.

However, one can administer C&D antitoxin short term) and at the same time
Clostridium perfrigens C&D toxoid (longer term).  It is recommended that
these be given in opposite sides.  Follow up with a second (repeat)
vacination in 2 to 3 weeks, a third dose of toxoid 3 to 4 weeks later. The
tetanus issue can be done with a antitoxin-toxoid treat as done for
enterotoxemia (over eaters).  It is important to do the opposite sides of the
body for the antittoxin (antibodies) and toxoid (germs).

When the first lamb is born, we try to "steal" about 8-12 oz of colostrum.
The best source is a ewe that has previously lambed (multiparious) and
singles (has a little extra to give).  We do the boosters before lambing so
the ewe will pass on the immunity.  The stolen colostrum can be placed in a
Glad seal bag and placed in the freezer...mark the mom and date ... keep a
bag around until you steal another bag of colostrum the following year.
"Thaw the Glad bag in warm water ... do not place it in boiling water or
micro-wave...it can kill the antibodies..." L.Pasteur.

Hope this is in time to do some good.  Fred Horak