[Jacob-list] Broken horn

Shawn Hoefer shawnhoefer at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 30 10:18:06 EST 2003

Recently, we had a ram tangle with something - another ram or a section of fence or a shed, we're
not sure what - and it appears that he has broken his horn. This is one of the large verticals.
We've lost enough of the smaller laterals in our ewes over the years that we no longer get too
worried about that, but this large vertical has us concerned. It did not break off. Rather it
tilted over the course of the next week or so until it is no resting on his brow parralel to his
lateral. He still eats, but seems to be in some pain.

That's the description. Now the question...

Has anyone else dealt with a situation like this? What can be done?

We have considered removing the horn, but really don't like that idea - we have another ram with a
horn removed and it is a costant sourse of worry. We have considered "splinting" the horn back up,
but we are worried that the swelling that is there right now will cause problems with that plan
and that the splint will just provid more for the horn to get caught on. We have also talked
shortly about having mutton for New Years, but like that idea the least.

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Shawn