[Jacob-list] Ewe not feeling well/Broken Horns

Kelley Rambo Kelley_Rambo at antiochne.edu
Mon Dec 29 13:56:30 EST 2003

Re: ewe not feeling well

Could she have gotten into something she didn't like?  As long as she is
still eating and pooping, I would give her a few days and see if she
doesn't come around.  Could she be pushed out of the way?  Sometimes they
just don't like to push their way in, so they'll hang out around the
sides, I have a couple of wethers doing that now, so I'll put in a few
more piles of hay to spread them out more.  The other thing could just be
a slight tummy ache from eating something weird.  You could try turkey
basting her with some molasses mixed in water.  You'll be making sure
she's getting enough liquids and it might annoy her enough to get her to
stop moping.  I've had that happen before when they weren't quite sick,
but they were off a bit.  They didn't like being forced to drink
something, so they shaped up.  Those are my suggestions.

Now, for my question.  Some of the boys returned to my care with broken
horns.  One in particular broke off at the base and we're dealing with pus
and a hard to keep clean area.  I had an older ram have this happen a few
years ago and I was two years cleaning that thing until he finally passed
away.  It's not maggot season yet, but if there is a way to get this to
become a closed wound instead of open, I would love to hear about it.  The
problem that I feel is that it is connected to the sinuses, which keeps it
moist.  I don't really use conventional medicine, so I don't know what is
out there in terms of that.  My medicines I buy at the co-op in terms of
bulk herbs or homeopathic remedies or simple peroxide or what-have-you in
terms of first aid supplies.  Much cheaper and quite effective generally.
But, I am looking for suggestions in terms of this horn.  I would
appreciate it.

Thanks,
Kelley - loving every bruise I get!