[Jacob-list] Nose Bots in Humans?

BIDEWEE at aol.com BIDEWEE at aol.com
Tue Dec 16 18:27:06 EST 2003

Okay here's a weird one...

I just got a call from a woman in Hawaii (Molokai - sp?) whose son was
helping on a Christmas tree lot and had a tree fall and hit him.  One of the
branches pierced his eye and he ended up getting sheep nasal bot flies in his eye.
Apparently had to fly to another Island to have them removed.  Sounds like it
was a pretty disgusting and unpleasant process :-(  but they finally got them
all.

Anyway, no one on the Islands had ever heard of humans getting bot flies so
she went on the Internet to see if she could find any sheep farmers who had
ever experienced a similar problem.  The trees were apparently shipped in from
Oregon so she started with Oregon sheep farmers.

We don't have a lot of problems with nose bots in our area so I don't have
any first hand experience with them.  I checked in my Veterinary Parasitology
Reference Manual and it doesn't mention them as something humans need to watch
out for.  Have any of you ever heard of humans getting nose bots before?

I told her I'd let her know if I could find out anything more.
Thanks,
Karen